The Middle Earth Project Forum Index

The Middle Earth Project Forum IndexFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Attrition for armies in Middle-Earth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Archive
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Blood Royal
Team

PostPosted: Mon 28 Oct - 15:59 (2013)    Post subject: Attrition for armies in Middle-Earth Reply with quote

I'm still working on buildings and playing around with giving Dunedain/Gondor/Elves/Dwarves/Orcs cultural bonuses & maluses for troops in the common/static_modifiers.txt file.

I'm pretty much done with buildings for Gondor and Mordor, but in play-testing Gondor is still overpowered. It has 20k troops, which I think is what it should have (more ore less) and about 15k of them are from Gondorian provinces with 300% combat bonuses (and a 50% levy_raise penalty). Mordor at the moment can raise 60k troops, but Orcs have a 30% malus to combat stats due to their 200% raise_levy bonus. Modified for bonuses, this means that Gondor has troop power of around 50k, and Mordor 40k (meaning I will add more troop buildings to mordor at scenario start so Mordor has a modified advantage of around 60-70k, which I think is also pretty much lore-accurate).

In play-testing however, due to attrition, Mordor-stacks cannot exceed 20k in one province without losing troops fast, and therefore the Gondorian super-stack of 20k keeps easily beating the Mordor stacks of 20k. I'd like to see a 50-60k mordor stack being able to attack Gondor without withering away in a few weeks...

How do you guys feel about us modifying attrition so that a province can on average support a 50-60k stack instead of the 10-20k limit at the moment? Or reduce the attrition penalty somehow so that it happens much much slower than it does at present?

I think the current attrition province limits are way too low, at least for Orc armies. Some provinces have attrition limits as low as 8k, which are absolute killers for invading super-stacks...
Publicité

PostPosted: Mon 28 Oct - 15:59 (2013)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Mon 28 Oct - 16:09 (2013)    Post subject: Attrition for armies in Middle-Earth Reply with quote

Yes you're right, and the "big armies" of Second and early Third Age were much more than 20K. But if we raise the attrition level, we have to pay attention to the siege balance : an army of 50 000 / 60 000 orcs will take any settlements really quick, even with the "super-walls" of Minas Tirith for exemple, no?
Blood Royal
Team

PostPosted: Mon 28 Oct - 16:14 (2013)    Post subject: Attrition for armies in Middle-Earth Reply with quote

I'll try and do some tests - but technically, an army of 60-100k which gets to Minas Tirith should be able to take the city by assault - they would have done so in the books if Rohan and Aragorn hadn't come to its aid and scattered the assaulting forces. If it turns out that it's too easy, then I'll add more "Walls of Numenor" to the Baronies of Minas Tirith to represent the 7 levels of the city, and then even if the super stack manages to take them all, they'll suffer very heavy casualties.
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Mon 28 Oct - 16:15 (2013)    Post subject: Attrition for armies in Middle-Earth Reply with quote

Yes you're right!  Okay
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 09:37 (2017)    Post subject: Attrition for armies in Middle-Earth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Forum hosting | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Template lost-kingdom_Tolede created by larme d'ange