The Middle Earth Project Forum Index

The Middle Earth Project Forum IndexFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Republics/Guilds
Goto page: 1, 2  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Archive
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Blood Royal
Team

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan - 17:17 (2014)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds Reply with quote

I was for the first time ever playing a republic yesterday, and it was actually a lot of fun and really seemed to fit into the mood of the setting as well! Loaded up as Gondor, revoked a duchy title from the count of Anfalas, revoked a city title and a county title also. Then renamed the city "Guild of Venturers" like the one from Numenor, gave the mayor a county so he became a Lord Mayor and then gave him the duchy of Annuland so he becomes a Patrician/Republic - and wow, really felt like a whole new dimension to the game, opening trade routes, making money and not fighting orc hordes, and trying to find new provinces in the Eriadorian coastline to settle with my rising mercantile empire.

It made me wish I had some competition, perhaps from Pelargir or the duchy below it, and definitely from Umbar and Bellakar - and also the elves of Lindon.

I know "Republics" don't fit into Middle-Earth, but with a little localisation, they can certainly represent sea-faring guilds! We name the Patrician "Great Captain" and we name the leaders of the other houses "Captains". We rename Republic to "Guild", and voila, we have something resembling the guild of venturers which some heir of Numenor used to colonize middle-earth and explore and trade, starting their colonisation efforts.

There are two ways we could go about it: 1, add some titular duchy titles, make a "guild characters" history file for the Great Captains and families, give them a province with a city as the main barony. 2, use the existing provinces - make Bellakar duchy a vassal trading-duchy of the King, and do the same for the two Umbarian ones that are NOT called Umbar. Make Harlond (or whatever the southern one is called) a trading duchy/guild also, and then the two southern duchies of Lebennin also.

What do you guys think? 
Publicité

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan - 17:17 (2014)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Nukumnehtar
Team

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan - 18:15 (2014)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds Reply with quote

Okay Okay
Nukumnehtar
Team

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan - 18:18 (2014)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds Reply with quote

This would definitely work for Pelargir, and potentially for a vassal province or two in Umbar and or Bellakar. Possibly if Esgaroth is linked via rivers, it could possible would work for it too. Okay

This also would be great for a Second Age sub-mod for Numenor. Razz
Blood Royal
Team

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan - 18:32 (2014)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds Reply with quote

Yep! I'm looking forward to playing as more Republics now at least, Lonhaldar is working on implementing a few of them in the areas you also suggested. The Sindar also get one, but I'll try and restrict elves so that they're not so aggressive, attacking gondorian trade posts and such, and vice versa Okay
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan - 18:33 (2014)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds Reply with quote

Nuku, i'm making some new gondorians characters, descending from daughters of the main lines of Gondor (Stewards, Dol Amroth, Anorien) as the Guild of Venturers in Numenor was leaded by some Princes !
Nukumnehtar
Team

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan - 19:42 (2014)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds Reply with quote

Okay
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan - 19:43 (2014)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds Reply with quote

A first screenshot for Pelargir (localisations to be done, ...):
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan - 20:37 (2014)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds Reply with quote

Changed the localisations : Republic is now Guild of Venturers, Guild of Venturers title is replaced by the duchy of Pelargir, the "Doge" is now the "Lord Captain", and others are just "Captain". Will change the name of the palaces to Shipyard, and the buildings themselves will be changed (the Manor will be a little ship, then Great Ship, Swan-Ship and Admiral-Ship)  Okay
Blood Royal
Team

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jan - 21:59 (2014)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds Reply with quote

Awesomness  Okay

But keep some of the vanilla buildings, some of them are nice for flavor - like secret vaults, art collections, etc, IIRC!

And I think Black Numenoreans and other humans could keep the original ones, like manor etc, they do tend to be a decadent elite after all - the merchants Smile
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 26 Jan - 14:02 (2014)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds Reply with quote

Yeah, i just changed the localisations of the manors/palaces themselves, and the titles are only changed for Gondorian for no.
Working on adding the "Sindar Mariners" of Lindon Wink
Chris93
Team

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug - 11:32 (2014)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds Reply with quote

What about giving republic mechanichs to Dorwinion and Esgaroth?
I know Dorwinion is a kingdom but it seems (to me at least) that it's a country essentially based on commerce.
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug - 12:03 (2014)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds Reply with quote

Well, i agree for esgaroth, no problem for that. For Dorwinion, i don't know. As you said, it's a kingdom but essentially based on commerce, like Dale in fact. maybe can we keep it as a kingdom, and only make some vassals republics?
Moridin997
Team

PostPosted: Sat 23 Aug - 23:19 (2014)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds Reply with quote

I can't deny that the tought of a Moriquendi Republic is quite appealing. Also, I don't think that lore gives us any clue about their government type, so we might aswell go with the funniest option.
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug - 08:08 (2014)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds Reply with quote

Chris suggested this for the Northmen of Dorwinion, not for the Avari i think Wink
Chris93
Team

PostPosted: Sun 24 Aug - 09:07 (2014)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds Reply with quote

Yep, the Avari only live in Taur Romen, I was referring to the Northmen of Dorwinion. (I'll probably add a specific culture for them so that Rhovanion will have 3 main cultures, Bardings in Dale, Dorwinrim in Dorwinion and Northrons in central-northern Rhovanion, before the coming of the easterling tribes)
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 12:18 (2017)    Post subject: Republics/Guilds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page: 1, 2  >
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Forum hosting | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Template lost-kingdom_Tolede created by larme d'ange