The Middle Earth Project Forum Index

The Middle Earth Project Forum IndexFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Culture buildings
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Archive
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Redit
Modérateur

PostPosted: Sat 2 Aug - 13:59 (2014)    Post subject: Culture buildings Reply with quote

I'd say no pikemen for druedain/'primitives', and possibly others, pikes in general don't really fit with this universe, I'm not certain on whether Tolkien mentions them, perhaps we could just change that localisation to Spearmen
Visit poster’s website Skype
Publicité

PostPosted: Sat 2 Aug - 13:59 (2014)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sat 2 Aug - 14:04 (2014)    Post subject: Culture buildings Reply with quote

Yeah, i think that change them to spearmen will be good enough  Okay
Chris93
Team

PostPosted: Sat 2 Aug - 14:29 (2014)    Post subject: Culture buildings Reply with quote

I think the only people that is used to this kind of weapons are those of the Easterling group (?)
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sat 2 Aug - 14:30 (2014)    Post subject: Culture buildings Reply with quote

Not really, there is spearmen in Gondor, int he dwarven cultures and in Dale certainly!
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Sat 2 Aug - 14:51 (2014)    Post subject: Culture buildings Reply with quote

pikemen for primitives would be infantry with a crude spear (like hunting spear with no metal). Static modifiers will make sure they are not very effective.

Last edited by Athoen on Sat 2 Aug - 15:33 (2014); edited 1 time in total
Moridin997
Team

PostPosted: Sat 2 Aug - 15:13 (2014)    Post subject: Culture buildings Reply with quote

Indeed.

Give them pikemen, rename them 'spearmen' and then slap a malus on them.
Redit
Modérateur

PostPosted: Sat 2 Aug - 19:00 (2014)    Post subject: Culture buildings Reply with quote

Perfect, and of course spearmen should be the natural counter to cavalry, although I'm sure that's so in vanilla
Visit poster’s website Skype
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Sun 3 Aug - 04:18 (2014)    Post subject: Culture buildings Reply with quote

Question about buildings already built at start :
- so far they were few (only unique buildings, 1st lvl road and sometimes 1sr lvl wall)
- I would tend to make it equal for every culture, but if you want some culture to have a head start, think about if Smile
- this directly impacts game balance, especially for the war of the ring, as it would change available troops (I made 1st lvl buildings built at start for rohirrim, and their global levy is about the one of gondor
- Rohirrim are for now more unbalanced between cities and castles than other cultures (less troups in cities, I should make a normal stable building to balance it, but much more many troops in castle due to their cultural building (Mustering Grounds I think). I mus calculate the sum of the too, but with crown law rules, having more troops in castles culd be an unfair advantage (any balancing would need to change mustering ground value).
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 3 Aug - 09:38 (2014)    Post subject: Culture buildings Reply with quote

I believe that numenoreans and elves should have some buildings at beginning, as they're settled since centuries in the lands?
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Sun 3 Aug - 13:22 (2014)    Post subject: Culture buildings Reply with quote

That seems logical, but all of them have had enough time to buil something... anything given at start will be an advantage.

What about something like
-nothing or almost nothing for "primitives"
- lvl 1 for generic humans (group H) and melkor group
- lvl 2 for dwarves and numenoreans
- lvl 3 for elves
We might also chose only some buildings for the max I indicated there and other buildings (some of the ones they are specialized in) 1 lvl less
ex : I have considered dwarves to be defensive, so lvl 2 walls and Watch towers may be a third building like catle/city guards, lvl 1 for the rest... (dwarven fortress should be lvl 1 since they are a major objective for dwarf players.)
It might be best to keep specific cultural buildins at lvl 1 since some of them seems powerfull and not balanced yet.

As I love building and making an empire from nuts, I would love NOTHING at all at start, but it is not very credible. By the way, I played a bit with elrond, the pace is very slow at start...

EDIT
Or something like
-"primitives" : 0,5 (half the builgings to lvl 1
- generic humans (group H), rohirrims and melkor group : all lvl 1
- dwarves and numenoreans : 1,5
- elves : all lvl 2
Moridin997
Team

PostPosted: Sun 3 Aug - 14:30 (2014)    Post subject: Culture buildings Reply with quote

It's not that easy... There are regions of Middle-Earth that were settled longer than others by the same culture group.

The Gondorian kingdoms near the Anduin were the ones more colonized, followed by the ones near the ocean coast. However, Ithilien suffered a lot from war devastation.

In the South, coastal regions such as Umbar were quite populous, while the interior regions were also reasonably populated by Southrons.

In the East, there were many populous tribes. As a whole, the Easterlings were a numerous and dangerous folk.

Rhovanion was moderately populated, having suffered from countless Easterling attacks and the Northmen's own infighting. Same goes for Dale.

The Vale of the Anduin was the same thing, just replace Easterling attacks with Orc raids.

Northern Mirkwood was sparsely settled by Thranduil's folk, Middle Mirkwood by a mix of Elves and Woodsmen. Southern Mirkwood had a lonely Necromancer in Dol Guldur and some spiders in the rest of the woods. The spiders slowly expanded north and Dol Guldur got filled with orcs.

Lothlorien was moderatly settled by the Galadhrim. Lindon was (I think) the most populous Elven realm. Rivendell was a sizable colony.

Calenardhon had Rhovanion-like population levels and Enedwaith was sparsely populated.

Arnor was moderatly settled. It has suffered from some infighting between the lesser kingdoms.

Angmar and Gundabad were also moderatly settled. Angmar had enough orcs and evilmen to seize the opportunity Rhudaur presented and the Orcs of Gundabad were strong enough to raid the Grey Mountains.

All this as to be taken into account xD
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Sun 3 Aug - 14:57 (2014)    Post subject: Culture buildings Reply with quote

This work needs to be done in the history/province files, not in the buildings one by the way. The difficult point is that we're forced to trigger the buildings with a global flag, and with this, we can't give buildings only for some provinces...
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Sun 3 Aug - 15:16 (2014)    Post subject: Culture buildings Reply with quote

so what must be done in the building files to avoid interfering with this ? No building at start for every culture ? (except the special unique buildings of course)
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Mon 4 Aug - 06:02 (2014)    Post subject: Culture buildings Reply with quote

Here is some work (searched into LOTRwiki mainly), please comment and complete it Smile
This is what I am planning to do, it is not done yet (but if am into it, a version could available today)
Special units suggestions are in purple and will be simulated with existing units for now (before new units are created)
First come the cultural buildings , then the unique buildings (quite few)
Chris93
Team

PostPosted: Mon 4 Aug - 09:12 (2014)    Post subject: Culture buildings Reply with quote

The "no data found" cultures, are non canon cultures. Some of them are from LOTRO, others from MERP. So, we're free to decide whatever we want for them.  Okay
Keep in mind that i could add a couple of new cultures in the future, in that case, I'll make you know  Smile
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 04:37 (2017)    Post subject: Culture buildings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page: <  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  >
Page 2 of 7

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Forum hosting | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Template lost-kingdom_Tolede created by larme d'ange