The Middle Earth Project Forum Index

The Middle Earth Project Forum IndexFAQSearchRegisterLog in

culture terrain dependant buildings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Archive
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Wed 6 Aug - 04:24 (2014)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings Reply with quote

There are already mines and forges for dwarves : can only built on (in) hills and mountains (tax income mainly, some HI with forges)

I am currently working on humans with
- farms on plains (lvl1) and farmlands (lvl2)
- windmill (tax income, replaced with sheep farms for Haldadians and Forodwaith) , mine (?), quarry (local build time modifier) on hills i would like to have the player make a choice between the 3 (one can't build built if one other exist, not a problem in the potential lines), but the local time modifier doesn't seem to work and I don't know why :
I used build_time_modifier = -0.9 or
local_build_time_modifier = -9

- watermill : bonus unknown yet. Could be built only on rivers.
Either by targeting any neighbor province : doesn't work for now with any_neighbor_province = { terrain = river } (does river terrain exist by the way ? If ocean, it wouldn't be what I intended to do)
Or by targeting the modifier "a river flows between this province and..." I can't find where it appears

For elves, they would have bonuses in woods and forests.
Melkor group ? May be a sacker buildings on any terrain with lesser bonus.

Any help would be welcome Smile
Publicité

PostPosted: Wed 6 Aug - 04:24 (2014)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Chris93
Team

PostPosted: Wed 6 Aug - 08:19 (2014)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings Reply with quote

For the river, i don't think it exists. Btw, i guess we could add a new terrain typ called "Riverlands". I'll make some tests later and I'll make you know  Okay
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Wed 6 Aug - 09:22 (2014)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings Reply with quote

Chris93 wrote:
For the river, i don't think it exists. Btw, i guess we could add a new terrain typ called "Riverlands". I'll make some tests later and I'll make you know  Okay

Thanks, but it wouldn't do exactly what I want since it would only concern "river provinces" and not provinces with little stream/rivers drawn on the map

Athoen wrote:

- watermill :
Or by targeting the modifier "a river flows between this province and..." I can't find where it appears

That is what I really want to do, so I would prefer to look into this first.
Chris93
Team

PostPosted: Wed 6 Aug - 11:56 (2014)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings Reply with quote

Okay
Concerning Dwarves, i'm not very sure about the presence of walls. Dwarves don't have walls as the other races, they live in a mountain, the mountain itself is the wall  Mr. Green
What about giving a more massive bonus to dwarven doors and removing the walls? So that the "doors" will be the corresponding of the other races' walls.
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Wed 6 Aug - 12:02 (2014)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings Reply with quote

It would make more sense indeed. So walls/doors would some additionnal inner fortification. I'll see to that.
Chris, can you put the translation you made in the folder with your name into the dropbox ? I tend to copy all the files from my mod folder into the dropbox, so I would delete your own work if I do not have it my self.
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug - 11:23 (2014)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings Reply with quote

I saw this line in the suggestions for improved moddability thread in paradox forum, could be interesting for you maybe?

• Add condition "borders_major_river = yes/no", making it possible to check if a province borders a major river
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug - 12:45 (2014)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings Reply with quote

I'll try it but it would make watermills only buildable near major river
Anyway, I would like to use the fact human used to settle near rivers first so it would be a way to do it
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug - 13:12 (2014)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings Reply with quote

Well, that's a beginning Wink
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug - 15:08 (2014)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings Reply with quote

It works if added to the potential lines ! Okay
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug - 15:13 (2014)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings Reply with quote

Great !  Okay
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug - 19:04 (2014)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings Reply with quote

So after what I have just added for humans there is (druedain excluded):
- farms (lvl 1 and 2 on plains, lvl 3 on farmlands only) available to all
- sheepfarms (hills) primitives only
- windmill (hills) for others, with an upgrade for numenorean group
- watermills -Riverside only- (fo most humans, "primitives" excluded) with an upgrade for numenoreans
- fishery -Riverside only- : available to all (should add that for to druedain, should I ?)
- ferry boat -Riverside only- : available to all

For castles (not terrain dependant)
- Forges for all, lvl 2 only available to numenoreans
- apothecary for all, lvl 2 only available to numenoreans (I consider that the Healing house is like an hospital for the army, while the apothecary offers its services to individuals)

Balancing ? Tricky to make stats since it can almost be all or nothing (a cities can be farmland and have a riverside, maybe even with a sea coast). We have to play to see how it is...
However I like the idea that the cities in some provinces wil be much wealthier than others, so it will be looking for the best holding but not only in number. Ok Osgiliath really has a headstart.
From a historical point of view, riversides were always where humans settled first, that's what I wanted to do simulate with this...

Any idea for emphazing the differences between terrains and culture is welcome, but humans should have the best bonuses with plains/farmlands and riversides. Still possible to add buildings with minor bonus just for fun (date palms in desert, wale/sea seal hunters in artic coast...) The more flavour, the better AND if we get rid of technology, we will have to compensate the economic bonus (+20-25% max I think) so there is room for other buildings.

AND I will need help for orcs... I see them as raiders, but do they actually produce something themselves ?
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug - 19:18 (2014)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings Reply with quote

Looks really great. Great work once again!
I agree for the fishery, should be available for druedain.

What about woodcutter cabans for forest terrain? Should be an interesting add too, i believe!

For the balance, yeah, we'll needs to make some test. I like the idea that there won't be only the number of holdings but the situation of the province that will count in the economical choice of a land. By the way, there's nothing more for coastal provinces than the vanilla ports? We maybe could add one or two little things too, as most of the population were on riversides and coastal provinces, if i'm not wrong Wink

But that's already a great work, and it's just some little ideas to make more and more flavour !
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug - 20:08 (2014)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings Reply with quote

Ports already give a huge tax income (enough to make coastal holdings the wealthiest ones, only the cities within the best dwarven provinces -mountains + dwarven fortress- can be wealthier and a basic dwarven city in mountain is not wealthier than a coastal human city). But true, nothing else than ports and shipyards for now.
Any idea is welcome Smile
Chris93
Team

PostPosted: Wed 20 Aug - 22:05 (2014)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings Reply with quote

Maybe we could rework the vanilla ports splitting them in Shipyards buildings (only ships) and trading harbors (only incomes)?
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Thu 21 Aug - 04:26 (2014)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings Reply with quote

Chris93 wrote:
Maybe we could rework the vanilla ports splitting them in Shipyards buildings (only ships) and trading harbors (only incomes)?

This is already the case in vanilla : ports give only incomes and shipyards give only galleys. And castles cannot build ports, only shipyards
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 21:52 (2017)    Post subject: culture terrain dependant buildings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Forum hosting | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Template lost-kingdom_Tolede created by larme d'ange