The Middle Earth Project Forum Index

The Middle Earth Project Forum IndexFAQSearchRegisterLog in

adding buildings with province history files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Archive
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Mon 1 Dec - 10:20 (2014)    Post subject: adding buildings with province history files Reply with quote

The work I am doing with the event "buildings at start" is quite ok but has flaws :
- those buidlings will not be available if not playing with the bookmarks
- Adding any bookmark needs us to check the buildings accordingly to the provinces history files.

So I am thinking about using the history files to add buildings : it needs me to redo some of the already done work, BUT it will make this work available for every starting date !
By the way it might also avoid us to deal with conflicting events when starting a game early.

I would like your oppinion on this (especially the opinion of Chris who is working on the map and on those files).

For now I finish the buildings at start for Lindon so you can add it for release.

I need to check some things however (can we remove a building easily once added, , this kind of things...)
Publicité

PostPosted: Mon 1 Dec - 10:20 (2014)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Mon 1 Dec - 12:21 (2014)    Post subject: adding buildings with province history files Reply with quote

After some testing on Fornost and Amon Sul with Kins Strife and WoR start date :

- adding buildings will not be more tedious than what I am planning to do, it might even be easier as I will mostly have to set the buildings at 1 date. and only sometimes set other buildings for a different culture. In case of error, we just have to adjust the year (I am becoming very good in doing efficient copy/paste :p).

- I do not know yet if there is a way to use the history file to remove a building but setting the province to wilderness (or changing the culture) has the desired effect (buildings are not back -I mean already built- when colonizing such a province).
That means we should not have colonized provinces with ruins, but set a province to wilderness as soon as there is a ruin in it.
The "ruins" event should destroy any building in the holding, but there might be conflicts between buildings (need testing, I think wilderness is more immersive with ruins anyway).
As far as I know, this would concern Amon Sul and the 2 provinces of Osgiliath

- ruins can be dealt with not using the line "has_global_flag = building" so they be built by defaut, but with a year = xxx (as it is for now).
The ruin MUST NOT have the line "NOT = { has_building = ca_xxx }", it seems to conflict -cleaning needed- EDIT : failed but amon sul event seems broken or do not exist. Anyway this would destroy the buildings with a popup window - not immersive
but they can have the line "not_if_x_exists = { ca_xxx }" to make them unavailable but still visible. I think we should use a line with NOT = { has_global_flag = xxx } to make sure they remain hidden when not wanted as this works well.

Another good point to making it this way (why it is more immersive), there is no moment at start of a game with no buildings (with the event, buildings appear after a few days), but the big difference at start is that with the event, some of the guarrisons and levies of the main character are empty and must be replenished... waiting time.
Some buildings were already also built with history files (halls of Osgilath) and were conflicting with my work (I just understood that), so we should make this just in one way.

EDIT : I do not see how to show the population loss in annuminas or in Osgiliath. They should happen with events only (kin strife/great plague for Osgiliath, and soon after the date of the great plague, we would set osgiliath as wilderness)
Annuminas would stay level 2. If we set a starting date before the split of Arnor, when Annuminas was an active Empire capital, we would add buildings by event.

Back to testing, if I remember something else, I'll let you know.

EDIT : The more I think about it, the more I find it convenient. Some of this work could be usefull for 1st and 2nd age. The rest would require work, but less than making an event for each bookmark.

The limit : If think we cannot put different buildings for the same culture for 2 different times unless adding buildings with time (no way to delete the ones set at a previous time)... Even if there is another culture between the 2 times.
Doing so would require a specific event.

EDIT : About modifications by another person (just like what happened with Chris (good) work on the provinces of Lindon.
It might be easier to deal with, if dealing with just one file. By the way, should this happen again with already set buildings (changing the names of the baronies or adding a new one), that would only require a little copy paste, and would be easier than the long list currently in the event files.
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Mon 1 Dec - 18:51 (2014)    Post subject: adding buildings with province history files Reply with quote

I have done all elven provinces, it would have taken me more time to do it twice again...
Easy provinces however as few have changed hands...
An interresting case with Cell Angol, 3 times silvan, once Northron, many times spider...; I just had to set once the buildings for Northrons and Silvan and they appear every time there is the known culture (The buildings set at the earlier date will remain in memory for any later time with the same culture. That's why we can only add more buildings this way, and not remove some).

In the case of Dol Guldur/ Barad Dur : I will have to chose a level of buildings that will be the same every time Sauron comes back.
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Mon 1 Dec - 19:44 (2014)    Post subject: adding buildings with province history files Reply with quote

I agree for this. It'll be an huge work, but really more immersive.
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Tue 2 Dec - 02:46 (2014)    Post subject: adding buildings with province history files Reply with quote

Lonhaldar wrote:
I agree for this. It'll be an huge work, but really more immersive.

Not more than what I was going to do, but available for all times, so much more worth it
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Tue 2 Dec - 18:45 (2014)    Post subject: adding buildings with province history files Reply with quote

Planned changes from history files, tell me if you agree before I work on this :

- Amon sull will be wilderness + ruins in 9752 (only ruins for now)
- The rest of Arthedain will be wilderness in 10318 (+ruins for some) , save the few provinces of the rangers of the north, the Shire, and some provinces that are no longer part of arthedain (I suppose they are intended to be lost sooner)
- Osgiliath will be wilderness + ruins in 9980 (after the great plague). The dome of the star should be removed sooner in another way (adding ruins sooner will destroy all the buildings. (Not a priority for now I think)
Minas Tirith would become lvl 4 (empire capital) at the same time (or earlier with events).

Last edited by Athoen on Thu 4 Dec - 17:30 (2014); edited 1 time in total
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Wed 3 Dec - 12:05 (2014)    Post subject: adding buildings with province history files Reply with quote

Angmar will stay a stronghold (carn dum lvl 4) after its defeat from the armies of Gondor...
This might require events (add more buildings for the witchking only, so a lesser "buildings at start", not a problem)
OR we decide to weaken Angmar (at least carn dum lvl 3) but to strenghten the witch king (additionnal buildings as special fortress ? They could be available to the witch king in Minas Morgul too)
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Thu 4 Dec - 18:24 (2014)    Post subject: adding buildings with province history files Reply with quote

Work online (orcish, Elven, and dwarven zones)
No bug as far as I know.

You will note that some provinces with low level buildings can have higher level roads already built : this is because the roads were built with another culture before and were not erased by the culture switch as they are common to all cultures. Not a problem IMO.
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec - 04:54 (2014)    Post subject: adding buildings with province history files Reply with quote

Done
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 10:30 (2017)    Post subject: adding buildings with province history files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Forum hosting | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Template lost-kingdom_Tolede created by larme d'ange