The Middle Earth Project Forum Index

The Middle Earth Project Forum IndexFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Ideas for spell system
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Archive
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec - 07:27 (2014)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system Reply with quote

Acess to spell system :
- decision window ?

Condition for casting spells : spellcaster trait ? Like a civil trait or an education one ( by the way, the presently healer trait is meant as an herborist one isn't it ?)
Only the most powerfull spell casters would have access to the best spells

Should be rare (known characters : All Maiar, the witchking, some elves like elrond, Galadriel and ?...)
- but could be learned from a tutor ?

Mana pool : Piety ?
The spellcaster traits would increase piety gain. Some other trait (artifacts like rings and staves, some racials like maiar, elf, nazgul) could too
Anything else giving piety should be removed ? Holy wars, events, and buildings...

The spell themselves would not be all available but trait dependant
- all characters could have access to self-Healing (remove wounded, incapable, maimed...)
- elves would have a stronger Healing magic : remove scars, diseases and mental sicknesses. They would extend it to others (province, /army)
- good side characters would have access to defensive spells (defense bonuses for armies, like when in command)
- evil side would have access to offensive spells (offense bonuses)
- special troops summoning ? Would be great for Sauron and the Witchking and could replace event troops BUT this could easily unbalance the mod
- Evil side would create disease or bad trait to ennemy (targeting system in question... with plot system?)
- some physical trait could be gained temporarily (kind of alteration spell with a timer removing the trait at the end) : strong, quick, fair...
Publicité

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec - 07:27 (2014)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Moridin997
Team

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec - 15:44 (2014)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system Reply with quote

Regarding magic and piety, I'll point out we already discussed some aspects...

http://middleearthproject.clicforum.com/t302-Potential-interest-of-temple-h…
http://middleearthproject.clicforum.com/t155-Holy-Orders-and-Mercenaries.ht…

I think Elder Kings magic system is too lore-unfriendly. Maybe the bad guys could use some of the offensive spells and the good guys some of the healing and nature guiding spells (winds, floods, etc...), but not much else...

Since Tolkien's magic is mostly subtle, I propose a set of battle-events were characters with piety to "spend" could benefit from small to outstanding bursts of "luck" (e.g. slipping in blood and therefore dodging an attack...), "bloodlust" (e.g. Sauron filling an orc with a lust for ruin and death), "sorcery" (e.g. Nazgul screechs, auras of terror, creation of wights...) and other "subtle" stuff...

If two characters with high piety confront each other, we would have a sort of confrontation of the above. In the more extreme cases, say Maiar vs Maiar fights, they might fight all the way until either one loses or they withdraw/flee from battle. Only in these scenarios should there be a chance of high piety characters "burning away" all their "mana pool".

However, low piety character would easily spend their piety. This would draw the line between, say, lesser Men and High Elves...

I'll try to elaborate this even more, if you guys agree with me...
Redit
Modérateur

PostPosted: Wed 17 Dec - 16:37 (2014)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system Reply with quote

I know most mods have used a decision system and it is probably the best way.

I like the sound of your idea Moridin, could you give some in depth examples of how it might work? I like the idea of being very lucky for non-magic characters. We would need to create a fairly complex system, where duels are simple for most characters but able to have great depth between powerful characters
Visit poster’s website Skype
Moridin997
Team

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec - 02:49 (2014)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system Reply with quote

I have several ideas, some I really like, others could be improved, others admittedly suck  Cool

Whenever my mind gets bored of work and stuff, it unconsciously thinks of ideas that might be cool for that really weird and unlikely situation which could happen in lore... xD

Maybe you can ask about a specific type of confrontation? Even those could have several outcomes...
Redit
Modérateur

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec - 03:44 (2014)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system Reply with quote

Let's say the Witch King and Gandalf the White?
Moridin997
Team

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec - 05:28 (2014)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system Reply with quote

Ok. First, how strong is the Witch-King and how strong is Gandalf?

Gandalf:
-Maia of average(?) strength
-Weakened by the limitations of an Istari
-Possesses Narya, one of the Three Elven Rings. Narya is the Ring of Fire. As well as rekindled the metaphorical fires within men, it appears to grant Gandalf a degree of mastery over fire (skill with fireworks, ability to quickly light pine cones on fire, apparently somewhat resisting the Balrog's bodily flames...)
-Possesses Glamdring, "Hammer of the Orcs", Sword of King Turgon of Gondolin
-Possesses his Wizard Staff. Apparently, the chief focus of an Istari's "magic" powers. Without it, an Istari would be greatly diminished. Saruman's chief remaining power is seemingly the ability to engage in a powerfully convincing and deceptive speech....

Witch-King:
-A Wight, formerly a great Numenorean lord
-Possesses the strongest(?) of the Nine Rings of Men
-Possesses a Morgul Blade. Its slow action poison will slowly drain the physical and mental strength of the target. Eventually, the target will turn it a Wight, or die in the process of becoming one...
-Possesses nondescript sword and mace. While apparently terrifying, they seem to hold no magical properties. [Of course, for immersion's sake, we could assume that the mace, at least, could have some small enchantments increasing its crushing power...]
-Able to emit a terrifying screech that can put to flight all but the bravest souls
-Able to create a dark aura, the Black Breath, to incapacitate or even kill his foes. Had Éowyn and Merry taken a little more time to vanquish him, they might not have lived through it...

So, unlike the films, the book contest would be pretty one-sided towards Gandalf. His natural might would surpass the Witch-King's, while his ring would deny a great deal of the Witch-King's terror arsenal. His command of fire could allow him to selectively ignite wreckage on the battlefield to hinder his opponent, maybe even ignite his Nazgul cloak... His sword, being of elven making, would also have higher durability.

However, I think it can be safely assumed that the Witch-king would be the more proficient fighter. Also, his foul Breath and a Morgul wound would not be entirely negated by Narya. Therefore, in protracted fight where the Witch-King would somewhat likely to score a few hits with his mace or Morgul Blade would progressively lean towards his victory...

Concluding, if Gandalf can't use his starting advantage to win the duel in a reasonable amount of time, he'll risk defeat... I'd give a Gandalf 70 - Witch-King 30.

So, translating this in events:

*At the start of the duel, the Witch-King would setup his terror abilities.
*Then Gandalf would react, weakening or negating them.
*The Witch-King, disavantaged, would either flee or try to close-in with mace and Blade (it would depend on the flow of battle...).

*If the Witch-King closed in, he could have an very slight chance of an early hit with mace or Blade.
*Assuming no early hit, Gandalf would try to ward off the close combat onslaught while deciding what to set on fire. An wooden plank from a wrecked cart, a nearby orc, the Nazgul's cloak... The harder the target, the smaller the chance. A blinding light might also be an option.
*In case of a blinding light, the Nazgul could try to gather a shroud of darkness around himself. Small chance of using darkness to smooth the light right on the source, dealing a slight piety damage and almost likely preventing further light attacks. If set on fire, the Nazgul should: manage to put out the fire OR ditch the cloak and reveal his wraith appearance (probably harmful in daylight) OR if unable to do the previous, flee from battle OR if unable to flee, become incapacitated in the physical and unseen realm (the severity of the incapacitation would depend on luck and on the piety available to Gandalf for attacking and the Witch-King for defending)

*In case the Witch-King has a very low amount of piety and Gandalf a very high amount, a killing strike should be possible. The Flame of Anor, where after doing better than the Witch-King in duel, Gandalf could attempt to end him once and for all by striking him with a powerful burst of light and fire. Permanent death would result. However, even in this moment the Witch-King could have a small chance to fight back: he could "recieve a boost" from Sauron, giving him enough juice to use a darkness shroud to dampen or nullify the attack, or a big evil guy like another Nazgul could interrupt the fight and defend him.
*In the inverse of the above, Gandalf could be forced to flee with a Morgul wound. Depending on the assistance he gets, he'd have a very low to low chance of turning into a Wight. Or collapse from prolonged exposure to terror abilities and auras. Or the Witch-King might pull a Flame of Udun moment, igniting his sword and blowing up Gandalf's staff. Gandal would either flee or get a sword rammed through his heart. Or, my personal least favourite, he might just get smashed to death with the mace... However, he could have the chance to recieve aid at this moment: the Eagles are coming, Manwe or Varda take mercy and give him a boost or a great hero of the likes of Aragorn, Glorfindel, etc arrive to salvage the day...

This can certainly be polished, but there are plenty of possibilities to make these battles. The more powerful the opponents, the easier it is to come up with abilities for them to use, while it gets harder to predict every attack and counterattack. Best of all, several of the abilities can be extrapolated to other Istari, Nazgul, Sauron, etc.

It's getting really late... We'll continue tomorrow... Razz
Moridin997
Team

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec - 13:35 (2014)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system Reply with quote

Comments?
Moridin997
Team

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec - 15:39 (2014)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system Reply with quote

As you can imagine, this fight wasn't exactly "subtle" because the belligerents' powers aren't exactly subtle either Razz
Redit
Modérateur

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec - 17:38 (2014)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system Reply with quote

Obviously this needs to be constructed in such a way that any two characters can have a duel, so it will be based on traits of each fighter, but the most important thing is building an event system similar to duel engine 
Athoen
Team

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec - 18:27 (2014)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system Reply with quote

Isn't duel engin kind of buggy ?
The duels with the balrog or with a dragon are not really working as intended...
Redit
Modérateur

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec - 19:01 (2014)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system Reply with quote

exactly, we need to make our own system which works
Moridin997
Team

PostPosted: Fri 19 Dec - 23:49 (2014)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system Reply with quote

Most likely, yes..

We should list possible duel ramifications and tie them with the existing traits. Beginning with moves for regular soldiers and going up from there till the Maiar.

Would you like me to begin such a list?
Redit
Modérateur

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec - 00:32 (2014)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system Reply with quote

Certainly!
Redit
Modérateur

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec - 00:36 (2014)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system Reply with quote

We have no need for the Theologian focus  anymore, and I was thinking perhaps we could replace it with a Magic oriented focus, possibly only for Istari, but perhaps not, not really sure what to call it.

Also, if you have any suggestions for relocalising Piety to reflect both 'Luck' and 'Magical Power/Mana' i'd love some suggestions Smile
Moridin997
Team

PostPosted: Sun 28 Dec - 04:19 (2014)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system Reply with quote

The best I can come up with is Spiritual Might, or, in Quenya, Fëa Túrë (literally: Spirit Might).

I don't really like it, but the alternatives seem even worse...

Just Might (Túrë) or Will (Níra) is too vague, Power (also Túrë) is too simplistic, Strength (again Túrë) is borderline incorrect. Besides, none of them really conveys the idea of luck...

I've thought of tossing in some adjectives to fix their vagueness, with Spiritual Might the best I can come up with. You could use Natural, Arcane, Material, True, etc., but I don't think they work that well...

P.S.: Or we could just give up on trying to fit Luck into its meaning, in which case Túrë would be the perfect word xD
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 06:08 (2017)    Post subject: Ideas for spell system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4  >
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Forum hosting | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Template lost-kingdom_Tolede created by larme d'ange