The Middle Earth Project Forum Index

The Middle Earth Project Forum IndexFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Colonization

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Archive
Previous topic :: Next topic  
6NGB
Team

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan - 22:32 (2015)    Post subject: Colonization Reply with quote

Currently, a player can colonize a province from the demesne only. I was thinking of letting the player colonize a province owned by a vassal. This could be either by using the present event chains, or by introducing a new chain like "help a vassal colonize a province". The culture and race could be the one of the province owning vassal, not the player. What do you think?
Publicité

PostPosted: Thu 22 Jan - 22:32 (2015)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan - 10:37 (2015)    Post subject: Colonization Reply with quote

Normally, it's already done. Or someone changed my files, but a liege can colonize the lands of a vassal since the latest build, as you can put your steward in the vassals provinces:

Steward's job code :
action_colonize_province = {
attribute = stewardship

trigger = {
OR = {
owner = { top_liege = { character = FROM } }
owner = { liege = { character = FROM } }
owner = { character = FROM }

}
OR = {
religion = religion_wilderness
culture = culture_wilderness
}
}

events = { }
}

Decision :
decisions = {
colonisation_wilderness = {
is_high_prio = no

potential = {
job_treasurer = { is_alive = yes }
any_realm_province = {
OR = {
culture = culture_mountains
}
NOT = { has_province_modifier = being_colonised }
}
NOT = { culture = culture_maiar }
NOT = { culture = culture_istari }
demesne_size = 1
NOT = { has_character_flag = colonizationwilderness }
has_character_flag = special_decisions_open
}

allow = {
war = no
prisoner = no
age = 16
prestige = 500
wealth = 200
job_treasurer = {
location = {
OR = {
}
}
has_job_action = action_colonize_province
}
}

effect = {
FROM = {
province_event = { id ="colonisation.0" }
}
}

ai_will_do = {
factor = 100
}
}
6NGB
Team

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan - 10:57 (2015)    Post subject: Colonization Reply with quote

Yes, the steward positioning is inside the entire realm. Then the first event uses the steward's location, however the events afterwards target a demesne province and it's owner.
In other words: the player can place the steward on a vassal province and trigger the chain start. But right after the first event ("OK -- send the settlers"), the chain will switch to the province owner and will stall. I'll rewrite the chain so that the character who started the chain is always targeted. This way the colonization procedure will always be the same, no matter who owns the province.
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan - 11:27 (2015)    Post subject: Colonization Reply with quote

Ok, go ahead, will look at them once you worked on it Smile
Redit
Modérateur

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan - 12:37 (2015)    Post subject: Colonization Reply with quote

Make sure the vassal is informed that his lands are being colonised by his lord, and if it fails or succeeds
Visit poster’s website Skype
6NGB
Team

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan - 15:17 (2015)    Post subject: Colonization Reply with quote

So:
Changed all the events in the MEP_wilderness.txt to be "character_events". This made the code a bit clearer and less complex;
If the vassal is from the same culture AND religion, there are opinion bonuses: for a colonization attempt (+5, 12 months) and for a successful colonization (+10, 60 months).
If the vassal is NOT from the same culture OR religion, there are opinion maluses: -10 for 12 months on attempt and -20 for 60 months on success.

There is an odd behaviour (aka -- bug Wink ) probability: if the vassal colonizes a province at the same time the liege colonizes some other province, the vassal's job may be discarded if the liege's colonization ends before the vassal's. A simple solution to remove this probability is to limit the decision for independent rulers only. What do you think?
Moridin997
Team

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan - 17:59 (2015)    Post subject: Colonization Reply with quote

I think the vassals should be able to colonize just as well as independent rulers. Else, player-vassals will be too limited in their gameplay, making them strive for an independence they might not wish for if they had something else to do while remaining a vassal...

Is there no way around that problem? Maybe adding different 'flags' for colonization by a vassal, to distinguish them from their liege's own efforts?
6NGB
Team

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan - 18:07 (2015)    Post subject: Colonization Reply with quote

Yep, a vassal flag is the straightforward solution. However it will complicate the code. I simply don't think that spending like an hour or two in developing something, which is neither important nor easy to test, is that worthy. Besides, giving the ai this option would not speed the game and will not bring any real benefit to the gameplay.

The decision could simply be limited for human players OR independent ai rulers. What about that?
Moridin997
Team

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan - 18:12 (2015)    Post subject: Colonization Reply with quote

I normally don't like having AI limited in things the players are not...

However, if the code really gets too complicated with those extra flags, the solution you propose is the best, I think. Playability first, perfection later Okay

Maybe we can add the more complicated solution to the to-do list with a low priority...
Redit
Modérateur

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan - 19:36 (2015)    Post subject: Colonization Reply with quote

Could you simply add two flags, one called vassalcolonisation, the other liegecolonistion, and remove the decision to colonise for vassal's land, or to place steward there, if the vassal flag is active, and similarly, remove the decision/steward placement for the vassal if the liege flag is activated, which simply requires adding conditions for the decisions and a few (4) entries in the event?
Visit poster’s website Skype
6NGB
Team

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan - 22:02 (2015)    Post subject: Colonization Reply with quote

I'm reluctant to add new flags because there are four possible liege tiers and three possible vassal tiers. Imagine an emperor, a king, a duke and a count all on colonizing spree. However I hope this can be solved with the existing flag only. Simply if a ruler is colonizing then his entire sub-realm becomes uncolonizable and nobody can place a steward in the sub-realm. Gonna try this tomorrow after I finish my current validation file set.
6NGB
Team

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan - 16:43 (2015)    Post subject: Colonization Reply with quote

Done. It was a simple change which doesn't complicate the event. If a character is colonizing, then his/her entire sub-realm is uncolonizable and a steward cannot be placed on colonization mission inside this sub-realm by anyone (liege or vassal of the character).
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 21:53 (2017)    Post subject: Colonization

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Archive All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Forum hosting | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Template lost-kingdom_Tolede created by larme d'ange