The Middle Earth Project Forum Index

The Middle Earth Project Forum IndexFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Elven reproduction
Goto page: 1, 2, 3  >

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Events / Gameplay -> Events
Previous topic :: Next topic  
Nukumnehtar
Team

PostPosted: Mon 15 Apr - 20:33 (2013)    Post subject: Elven reproduction Reply with quote

I think we should discuss Elven reproduction. As described by Tolkien, Elves actually went through cycles of reproductive activity extremely infrequently, with most spouses only yielding a 1 to 4 child ratio average. Elves were also extremely monogamous, and only remarried in extreme cases, and sexual infidelity was something pretty much unknown to them. I think that Elves should only be able to reproduce through random triggered rare events that end up impregnating the wife; it should then not be able to trigger for at least another 50 to 100 years, and the likely hood of the event triggering again decreases with every child born so that families with over four children only occur rarely.
Publicité

PostPosted: Mon 15 Apr - 20:33 (2013)    Post subject: Publicité

PublicitéSupprimer les publicités ?
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr - 08:16 (2013)    Post subject: Elven reproduction Reply with quote

It should be frustrating for the players if they can't have their first child before 100-200 years of play?
Maybe can we combinate two things : a decision (an having child decision) and events... With the limits of 4 for the two?
Like this, the player who wants an heir quickly can have one, and the ones who prefer to play with events could too?
Nukumnehtar
Team

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr - 14:47 (2013)    Post subject: Elven reproduction Reply with quote

Then perhaps only have the decision to be able to trigger once, as I think that playing as an Elf with only one heir would be more secure ruling-wise than playing as Men with only one, due to immortality, so I would think it would be best to keep child production for Elves to be mostly confined to events. As for those who want to make elfings quickly I have made an event cheat for myself that properly impregnates the wife (I took it from the vanilla mistress event). I will upload it when I get home actually, and post the cheat code for our debug purposes.
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr - 15:47 (2013)    Post subject: Elven reproduction Reply with quote

I like the idea, only one child by decision, the others by events.
Redit
Modérateur

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr - 16:58 (2013)    Post subject: Elven reproduction Reply with quote

Perhaps you could have a Important Decision 'try for a child' which boosts the chance by a bit but can only be used very rarely
Visit poster’s website Skype
Nukumnehtar
Team

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr - 17:08 (2013)    Post subject: Elven reproduction Reply with quote

So like a .05-10% chance of success that can only be activated every hundred years or so? That might work too.
Redit
Modérateur

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr - 17:11 (2013)    Post subject: Elven reproduction Reply with quote

and still wont necessarily mean you get a child, should be a good way of doing it
Visit poster’s website Skype
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Tue 16 Apr - 17:17 (2013)    Post subject: Elven reproduction Reply with quote

Yep, sounds good.
Nukumnehtar
Team

PostPosted: Wed 17 Apr - 03:31 (2013)    Post subject: Elven reproduction Reply with quote

you can find my debug event in my cubby. type event 64146 as a cheat if you want/need a child with your spouse and vanilla's event 64145 with a lover. We can use it to please players who want their Elves to have many children. Works 100% of the time.
Blood Royal
Team

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct - 16:39 (2013)    Post subject: Elven reproduction Reply with quote

Another relatively easy work-around I think would be to adapt the celibate trait which gives fertility -1000 or something. We could call it "Elven infertility" or something similar to simulate the fact that elves (apparently) usually only have 1-3 children, and only in extreme circumstances like Feanor they have 7.

Everytime a child is born, there would be a 50% chance of getting that trait.

That means that elves have a 50% chance of 1 child, 25% of 2, 12.5% chance of 3, and 6.25% of 4, and so on and so forth.

What do you guys think?
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct - 16:42 (2013)    Post subject: Elven reproduction Reply with quote

That's a good idea, in this way, no needs of any "birth events/decisions", it's a "natural" way.
Blood Royal
Team

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct - 16:44 (2013)    Post subject: Elven reproduction Reply with quote

I'll get to work on making it, and seeing how it works  Okay
Chris93
Team

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct - 16:45 (2013)    Post subject: Elven reproduction Reply with quote

I agree, maybe the chance to get the infertility trait could be even higher, something like 60 %
Blood Royal
Team

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct - 16:59 (2013)    Post subject: Elven reproduction Reply with quote

Sure, there did seem to a lot of elves who only had 1 child. 50% was just so easy, as I didn't have to use a calculator to make the example Okay
Lonhaldar
Administrateur

PostPosted: Tue 15 Oct - 17:01 (2013)    Post subject: Elven reproduction Reply with quote

Whe should adjust the percentage after some ingame tests, don't worry about it !
Contenu Sponsorisé

PostPosted: Today at 17:13 (2017)    Post subject: Elven reproduction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Middle Earth Project Forum Index -> The Team Forum -> Events / Gameplay -> Events All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page: 1, 2, 3  >
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

Index | Administration Panel | Forum hosting | Free support forum | Free forums directory | Report a violation | Conditions générales d'utilisation
Template lost-kingdom_Tolede created by larme d'ange